Monday, March 22, 2010

Expressing yourself through yoga and meditation-part one

I’ve my legs crossed beneath me. I’m sitting on my yoga mat opposite the impeccably groomed cat, Le chat de rue. He is, as always, amused by my attempt self-improvement. I guess when you have attained such wisdom, it is enjoyable to observe others in their desperate attempt to acquire it also-taking the same paths, making the same mistakes along with a few you were not stupid enough to make. I close my eyes, listen, and feel the world around me. I reach out to it, and let it reach into me. Once again, I am aware of Le chat de rue in an odd and inexplicable way. So I start thinking…

Meditation is a concept so easily, and quite frequently, associated specifically with religious practices. This is done erroneously. Meditation is a relaxing curative exercise that is actually accessible to people from any belief system.

If you’re more accustomed to the literalities of life like empirical intellectual types, you may perceive such spiritual practices as deluded fantasies employed to establish a false sense of the importance of life. You may be disinclined to entertain such “hedonistic” ideals in fear of them contradicting your established belief system of axiomatic truths. You may have trouble accepting spiritual concepts because of the inconsistencies pervading the theories and experiences of even those revered as authorities in such areas.

Having such a consistent and logical creature as Le chat de rue as a companion inspires me to embark upon my quest for peace and enlightenment with open eyes as will as an open mind. Quite honestly, I have to admit that I listlessly suffer the consideration of these rebukes aimed at spiritual practices. Le chat de rue patiently endures my rationalizations even though he has surely already found some elusive intricacy that would alter our perception of reality. He is just unable to properly communicate it. Well, it’s more probable that I’m just unable to properly receive it. So I am left to wonder.

Everyone has a balance of intellectual and spiritual aspects to their personalities. We subsist not by one alone, but by a confluence of abstract and concrete realities. They create a rather convenient and productive cycle. We thrive intellectually by our speculative process-intellect allows us to speculate and posit theories. It’s this mutualism that promotes innovation.

But am I right to equate spirituality with speculative prowess, or our ability to form abstractions? Maybe our spirituality is the inspiration that drives our creativity. Consider a human being’s desire to see the world as he believes it should be. This being is trying to attain a balance. To do so, he must be ambitious and attempt to change the world, or change the way others perceive it. He can not just conform.

Why am I carrying on in such a way? Because yoga and meditative techniques aim specifically at helping you attain balance within, and consequently, change the world’s view of you. If you are unable to accept the metaphysical or “supernatural” interpretations of this practice, disregard them for now and focus on the physical and philosophical elements. Start with the mind and body. I promise you the effect on your spirit will be undeniable. It will reflect in your personality and charisma. Before long you will notice friends and acquaintances responding to you in a in a more positive way.

So how should you approach yoga and meditation? Search the web and find a few simple asanas (poses) to practice. If you can’t get them perfect, just do your best. Don’t push yourself to far. Just get as close as you possibly can. As you practice them listen to your body. It will have plenty to say. Just relax and let all the tension and anxiety of your day go. Picture it draining from your body.

Practicing visualization along with yoga can make the whole process more interesting and worthwhile. Think of it as testing the limits of your imagination. I find that it has been wonderful in assisting me in my writing and some other creative outlets.

Approach other areas of your life with your newfound focus and well-being. Yoga is going to teach you a lot about your limitations. If you learn to apply it practically, in time you’ll be able to move on to more difficult asanas. So take something away from your practice; Let that patience and unwavering endurance pervade your life and relationships for more positive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment